Thursday, January 7, 2010

Making Progress

Gabe had a great night last night. He is still sedated, but they have been weaning him off slowly. They tested his breathing and he was able to breathe on his own, so we are now just waiting for the doctors to come in and extubate him. This will mean that he will be more wakeful today, but still sleeping a lot. We are excited because we really haven't seen his eyes open since he left for surgery. We miss his laugh and smile!

The only problems that he is having right now is the elevated temperature. The doctors are more concerned about it today and may start antibiotics soon, just in case. The other issue is that there is a blood clot behind his atrium. This really concerned me, but a couple doctors and several nurses have assured me that this will absorb and go away on its own. They said he will likely be sent home with this clot still. It makes me a little uneasy, but I have to trust them.


Gabe's color looks great and he isn't nearly as swollen as he was after the last surgery. His lungs look clear, but his kidneys are feeling the effects of him being a little dry. However, that is also how they keep his lungs dry and free of things like pneumonia. I guess it is a balance and everyone says that things are right on target.

I will post again later. I am going to get ready to the extubation because I have a feeling he won't be super happy when they take the tube out. Until later......

No comments:

Post a Comment