Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Culture shock












We are still in Nanchang waiting for Gabe's passport. Our next city is where the Chinese will tell you that the most exotic food is served. However, where we are now is quite an adjustment. The "fancy" restaurant we ate at in the hotel today was serving fish lips and duck tongues, among many other things. I had my staple bowl of noodles. They brought Brian the biggest bowl of rice that I have ever seen and told him, "Enjoy yourself." The staff at the hotel are very accommodating to all of the American families and their babies. However, the people on the streets are not fond of Americans. It was very different in Beijing, they were very curious and excited to see Americans. We ventured out into town today and when I saw "free range" chickens running in the sidewalks, I knew it was time to go. I am not even going to mention the smells. We are getting a little stir crazy living out of this room, but luckily we brought the portable DVD player, as we have ZERO channels in English. Even ad-libbing the Chinese soap operas has lost its appeal. We are having a great time with Gabe. Today we went to the playroom at the hotel. We met some other families there and Gabe had a blast playing with a ball. One of the hotel workers came up and tried to play with Gabe and he reached for Brian. I think he is starting to realize that we are mommy and daddy. Tomorrow we have a trip to a local pavillion. We may try to venture out and look for porcelain,as Nanchang is supposed to be one of the best places for that. We will check in tomorow.

3 comments:

  1. I think Austin started to make fun of me as I cried while I read this to him. I'm just so happy for you two. Stay safe and we will see you when you get back. Keep the pictures coming. I can't stop looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome boy! Such a happy face. We returned in March. Peggy King and I are friends so got your site from her.

    Abby Humbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful boy you have! Welcome to parenthood!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete