Friday, August 7, 2009

Tough Day

The docs said that the second and third day after surgery are the hardest, and they were SO right! Today was not a good one. The sedation is gone and he is more awake and alert. That is good, with the exception of being in pain. Also, he has had some lung issues that they are working on. Part of his lung collapsed, which they assured me with work itself out. He is also really congested and they are trying to get him to cough it all up. However, it is really painful to cough, considering they just opened his chest two days ago. So he is fighting it and he will touch his chest when he coughs. He has been crying quite a bit today and it is very hard to watch. From a medical standpoint, the crying is good because it pushes him to take deep breaths which is great for his lungs. From a mom standpoint, it sucks.

I think we are looking at another rough day tomorrow and hopefully the tides will turn soon. For all of those who have called and texted today, I apologize for not responding. Today was a little consuming, as I expect tomorrow to be as well. I appreciate the continued support, even if you don't hear back from me right away. It looks like maybe we will get to come home on Thursday or Friday. I would rather have him in there longer and be stronger when he gets home. Honestly, I am a little terrified of taking care of him on my own at home. I am so lucky that Brian will have some time off and can ease me into this.

Another great thing is that Brian is working tonight which means that I get to come home and sleep in my own bed. They wouldn't let him take care of Gabe, but he is working in the room next door. So he is about as close to Gabe as he can be. Not only that, but I feel so confident in the care that he is getting in the PICU. They are awesome. Many people have told me how important it is for us to get our rest also. Very true, so on that.....good night!

2 comments:

  1. still and will continue praying in Valier Il. until I read a GREAT report! A friend of Tammy Stublefield's. Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian and Angela - we are praying for you daily and trust that Gabe is a strong little man and will pull through this brilliantly!! Being that he has the same condition as Isabelle, we can really feel your pain and worry. God will wrap His hands around him though and keep in safe in His care. Rest is so good for you also, so hopefully you were able to get some last night. Hang in there and know that so many people have you in their thoughts and prayers!!
    Be well,
    Pam, Chuck & Isabelle

    ReplyDelete