Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Getting Better

Things here are steadily progressing. We had a little scare last Friday when Gabe's oxygen saturation was low and he just wasn't acting like himself. I called his cardiologist's office and they had him come right in. They did a quick echo cardiogram and put him back on a particular medication. That has made a difference and things have been better since then. We go back to the surgeon and the cardiologist on Monday and hopefully we will learn more about the next surgery. I am afraid that they will have to perform another cardiac cath to find out if the shunt is working. That means one more time of being "put under" before the big surgery. I know that it is necessary and I trust his doctors, but it all makes me a little uneasy. I am just hoping that by spring, we have all of these procedures and recoveries behind us and we can be a "normal" little toddler for awhile.

You would never guess by looking at him that he had an open heart surgery only 3 weeks ago. He is back to walking and being super active. He is so amazing! We are still pretty locked down in the house. He has only been a couple places and only a handful of people have seen him since he has been home. Walks are good for us and we take 1 or 2 a day. We are both getting pretty bored of the house! If things keep progressing as they are, I hope to get back to work in a week or so. I am starting to miss it. Plus, I know that I will need even more time off when we have the next surgery. I haven't told my mom about the new earlier start time for District 150. That means that she will have to be at my house to babysit at like 6:00 or 6:15 a.m. Yikes! I am so lucky that she is going to be our babysitter and she is really looking forward to it.

Not much else is going on here. Gabe is just learning all kinds of new tricks. He still isn't saying anything but mama and dada. Hopefully, that will start to pick up pretty soon.

We will post again after our appointments, as we should have more to report at that time. Until then......

Brian, Angela and Gabe

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you. We do miss you at school, but of course you are where you need to be! Isn't it exciting to know that Gabe coming into your family and being such a trooper with all of his medical challenges that God must really have something huge in mind for this little man?! Still praying for you all, hope strength of mind and body is growing daily.
    See you soon,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian... Its Ashlee (( Peytons mom)) I have heard from all the nurses i talk to on facebook about you and your little fighter. I do not see you on facebook anywhere so I need to know how to find you all to keep in touch. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!! I couldnt imagine being a nurse on that floor and seeing my own son there. Peyton misses you all, but not enough to come for a stay. Im sure things are totally different then dealing with other peoples children as your own. Stay strong you two are his back bone! And Angela Im very please to have read so much about you, after talking with Brian while my son was in the hospital. You sound like an amazing woman and a loving mother. Keep up the good work. Being a heart mom isnt easy, but it does come naturally. The surgerys and stays at the hospital are by far the worst, but he is in the best place ever to be!! The Cardiologist you have is the same my son see as for the surgen as well.We love them. 2 very amazing people. Im going to cont. to read your blogs as you post, and i wish you both the best of luck!! Congrats on baby Gabe!!!

    ReplyDelete